Thursday, September 25, 2008

My weakness . . .

I must admit - everytime I am at a yardsale, I find myself sifting through piles of used picture frames. I always think "I can paint that" or "I can put a cute picture in that one!". The last yardsale I went to, I left with a GARBAGE BAG full of used picture frames. Little ones, medium sized ones, large ones, jumbo ones, you name it . . . I had to have them all!

My favorite ones are that ones that stump me. I know I can do something with it . . . but what? How can I prim that up a little? I pulled this little gem out of the bag over the weekend. It was already cute - it was a light blue frame with a strand of small blocks across the bottom reading "Baby". Cute enough right? Well I stared at it . . . and stared . . . and stared until it hit me.

Well, I do not need any BABY frames at our house since the youngest is 12 so I had to do a little something to it! I cut the little baby blocks off of the front and started sanding. So, here is my project - I am thinking of painting some trusty stars on the frame to add some punch but I haven't gotten to that yet . . .
I painted it a Barn Red and used an old piece of homespun to hang a rusty bell from the front. I love the way it turned out . . . don't you?
My husbands gets on me for having so many junky yard sales items around but I remind him, if I am going to have a lot of something, aren't you glad it is 10 cent items and that I am not out shopping at the name brand places for my fix?
Have a great day!

9 friends had to say:

Sandy said...

I love your frame redo...
I never really thought much about recycling picture frames but what a perfect way and paying cheap at that. Can't wait to see the added star.

Painting my daughters room...well I would love to have it prim but it is her room and I understand and feel that it is OK to be different and have different taste. Besides when I get it all done, it will be one nice room...something I would of loved to have when I was young. She will have a couple of old pieces still in her room and she is allowing me to prim up a couple of pieces. It is only the color which is not so prim but I think it will all turn out just perfect. To our surprise the carpet guy is coming in tomorrow so we will be another step ahead again. We may finish quicker then planned. Hip hip hooray

Can't wait to see what you will do with other frames.

Sandy

Rosalie said...

I never thought about redoing frames either, what a great idea. I really like the way yours is coming out. I always run across picture frames at yard sales. As you can see I also love to go to yard sales, you just never know what treasure you may come across and give a new life to.
Rosalie

Raggedy Angel said...

I tell my husband the same thing...I tell him he is lucky that it is not diamonds and furs that turn me on! Love the frame! Beth

Anonymous said...

Hey there~~
I wanted to get back with you on your question about the wholesale shows in your area. First off you have to have a tax number or a shop with proof, before you can get in the show! IF you have all this the next thing I would do is go onto, Heritage Markets (hand-made items) and see IF they are going to be in your area. And then pre-register online and then see IF this is something that you would like to go to! Ask questions and then see what you need for your shop!! I hope this helps......email me IF you have more questions, I'll help in ANYWAY that I can!!!

Many Blessings........
Lori Hull

carolyn@simple~primitive~devotion said...

Too cute! Love that idea!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

So neat! I always pick up frames at yardsales and GW but my thinking is always "paint it black" I'll have to start thinking in a different way:)
Rondell

Anonymous said...

Hey forgot to tell you that I sell grubby lights wholesale to shop owners.......!! Stop on by and check them out!!

Many Blessings.....
Lori Hull

Tonya said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. This frame is a cute idea, I could see you putting a Christmas picture in it. I love redoing old junk and just like you I tend to accumulate a lot of it, but your right its a lot cheaper than buying brand name and new items.

{lauren} said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment:) I love your frame...that is too cute! That is such a great idea to redo frames. I also see that you aren't too terribly far from me...I live in Granite Falls (next to Hickory, NC). So, maybe someday I'll get to your shop...I love finding new places to visit:) <3Lauren